Dads are notorious for saying, “don’t get me anything” when it comes to gift-giving season. A good portion of the paternal passel probably mean, “don’t spend your time and money on something I don’t need/won’t use”, so if your dad ISN’T an avid tie-collector, or golf aficionado, producing a unique homemade father’s day gift can be a challenge. With this round-up of upcycled leather DIYs, you won’t need more than a few scraps of leather, a couple of tools, and an afternoon of crafting to make a practical and stylish father’s day gift.
1. Is there anyone who wouldn’t benefit from a Leather Cord Keeper? If you’re making one for dad, make a few for yourself. These simple gifts are worth their weight in gold! Find some leather scraps, then check out the tutorial on right where i left off.
2. How many nests of tangled earbuds are you personally responsible for creating and eventually, trashing? Make these Leather Earbud Keepers and your pop (and his ‘buds!) will thank you!
Tutorial found on the Food52 blog.
3. This Leather Tool Roll will keep your dad ultra-organized. Make one with these instructions from: Caila Made.
4. Leather Key Chains are an essential gift for the “clip it to my belt” dad who loves your handmade gifts, but loves never losing his keys, even more: Small scrap-friendly instructions, found over at 17 Apart
5. Make the rugged padre in your life a Leather Knife Sheath to keep him looking cool, while staying safe and protecting his blade. Tutorial by Mr. Lentz.
6. Expose your shutterbug papa to this leather camera strap. Don’t be negative about the process as you develop a gorgeous camera strap (and endless photography puns!) following the tutorial from Almost Makes Perfect.
7. Your outdoorsy old man will appreciate this highly functional Leather Tripod Camping Stool from the folks over at Design*Sponge.
8. This DIY Slingshot is for the kid-at-heart dudes in your life. You know the ones. Make a set of slingshots with this easy to follow DIY on The Merrythought.
9. Scholars, artists, and fathers everywhere are always in need of a good notebook, right? Make this lovely Leather-Bound Sketchbook and you’ll be thanked or thought of every time he uses it. Instructions found here.
It’s the thought that counts when it comes down to giving any gift, and this year, your dad will be so tickled that you crafted something that he can treasure, adore and USE over and over again!
And while you have your leather scraps and tools out, don’t forget to make yourself a lil something with this CreativeLive workshop on Upcycling Leather into Accessories by Blair Stocker!